Mo asks Ron Tite: How can we deepen relationships and win the relationship advantage?
- If you have great relationships, know that some of them will convert, but that’s not why you invest in relationships.
- When Ron started his agency, his first client was a woman that he knew and had a work relationship with 15 years prior. She didn’t have a need for his agency, but she created a project for him and launched his agency.
- Far too many think they need to create relationships to grow their business but if that’s your primary motivation it’s not going to work. To properly build relationships you need to have a genuine desire to get to know someone as a human being.
- Authenticity means to be comfortable with your imperfections. Don’t show up as the stock photo version of a lawyer, consultant, marketer, or business development professional. Your imperfections are not bugs, their features and that’s what people buy.
- People don’t know where to look or who to trust, and if their gut reaction is that you are hiding the real you from them, it’s not a good way to start a business relationship.
- Ron’s background is in stand-up comedy and there is a line in comedy that comedians use; “never ignore the reality of the room”. Call out your mistakes and the reality of the situation. If you get the sense that they aren’t interested, acknowledge that. Even a catastrophe can be used as a way to stand out and be completely human.
- The beginnings of meetings and the ending of meetings are very important. Just like comedy, you should start with an insight and tie the ending of the meeting back to that same insight.
Mentioned in this Episode: